Additional information about 2 year old places

How many hours per week of funding can I claim?

You can apply for a maximum of 15 hours per week for 38 weeks of the year. This is 570 hours in total over the year.

The number of hours you can apply for will depend on the hours available at your provider. For example, if they operate 3 hour sessions they may be able to offer 5 x 3 hour sessions which is 15 hours per week. Alternatively, a provider of full daycare may offer you 3 x 5 hour sessions which is 15 hours per week.

If your provider is open all year round, you may be able to claim 10 hours per week over 51 weeks of the year. 

Talk to your provider about the options they offer. 

How will the free hours be deducted from my bill?

Your provider must demonstrate that they have given you the hours completely free of charge.   

The provider can charge extra for meals or extra curricular activities and these should be clearly shown on your bill.  These extra charges should be offered as an option and not as a condition of your place.   

What happens if my circumstances change?

It does not matter if your circumstances change at any point after you are allocated a place. For example, if you claim Jobseeker’s Allowance and then get a job, we will continue to fund your child. Once your funding application has been accepted, your child will be funded through to them starting school. 

What happens when my child turns 3?

Your child will automatically receive free early education for three and four year olds. You do not need to apply for this. Depending on availability, it should be possible to continue at the same provider.

What if I live outside of Trafford?

You can still apply for funding, as long as your provider is located in Trafford. 

What if the provider is not in Trafford?

We are unable to fund any places where the provider is not based in Trafford.

You will need to contact the Family Information Service for the area where the provider is based to find out if they are operating a similar scheme. Use the online Find Your Family Information Service tool to locate the contact details.

How do I change provider?

Although we don't encourage changing providers as this can be unsettling for the child, we understand there is sometimes a need to change.   

You will need to complete a change of provider form and ensure you give your provider the relevant notice period as per your agreement with them.  Forms received by the deadline date will be processed and the funding will be transferred to the new provider from the transfer date.  Any forms received after the deadline date will continue to be funded at the original provider until the next transfer date.

The keys dates for autumn term 2016 are:

  • Sunday 16 October - deadline date for funding to be transfered from Monday 31 October 2016
  • Sunday 18 December - deadline date for funding to be transfered from Monday 2 January 2017

It takes 10 working days to process your request.  You will then receive an email confirmation of your free hours. If you haven't provided an email address, you will receive this notification by post.

Trafford are responsible for funding all children who attend private provision in our area, regardless of where the child lives. If you are moving to a provider outside of Trafford, you will also need to contact the local authority where your new provider is situated. They will be able to advise you how to apply for the free hours at your new provider. Please be aware that some local authorities only allow you to claim your free hours from the beginning of a new term. Find the contact details for a different local authority.