Free places at private providers

Private providers include private day nurseries, pre-school playgroups, independent schools and childminders who are part of the scheme. You can find a list of approved providers on the Trafford Directory.  You can get free hours until the term of your child's 5th bithday, although most children will start school before this. 

Will my hours be completely free?

Your funded hours will be completely free. The provider can charge for things like additional hours, consumables, meals and extra curricular activities but these should not be a condition of your place. Any charges should be visibile on your invoice.  

How do I apply?

If your child is not already attending a childcare provider, you will need to find a provider.

Once you have found a provider or if your child is already attending the provider where you want to get your free hours, you must complete a parent declaration form.  When the form has been submitted you will automatically receive an email which incluldes a copy of the form. You should then show this email to your provider.

How do I change my provider?

Although we don't encourage changing providers as this can be unsettling for the child, we understand there is sometimes a need to change.  There are certain dates within the term that you can change providers.  You will need to complete a funding change form to let us know about your changes. 

It is your responsbility to ensure you give your provider the relevant notice period as per your agreement with them

Trafford are responsible for funding all children who attend private provision in our area, regardless of where the child lives. If you are moving to a provider outside of Trafford, you will also need to contact the local authority where your new provider is situated. They will be able to advise you how to apply for the free hours at your new provider. Please be aware that some local authorities only allow you to claim your free hours from the beginning of a new term. Find the contact details for a different local authority.