Big Friendly Read Summer Reading Challenge 2016
Are you aged between 4 and 11? Join us for this year's Summer Reading Challenge.
The 'Big Friendly Read' Summer Reading Challenge runs from Saturday 16 July in Trafford Libraries. Sign up at your local library and start reading straight away to collect your phizz-whizzing Roald Dahl-themed rewards. Read six books to complete the Challenge and you will be invited to one of our medal ceremonies on 10 and 17 September. There will also be lots of exciting 'Big Friendly Read' activities in our libraries throughout the summer.
Visit the Big Friendly Read website and the Roald Dahl official website.
Story and activity sessions
Come along to Altrincham Library for our story time and craft sessions on Thursday afternoons for children age 4 to 8.
- Thursday 28 July 2pm - BFG and The Twits
- Thursday 4 August 2pm - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Thursday 18 August 2pm - Fantastic Mr Fox
- Thursday 25 August 2pm - James and the Giant Peach
Creative writing sessions at Old Trafford Library every Tuesday and Thursday at 11am throughout August. These sessions are for children aged 8-12 years. No need to book.
Calling all children aged 6-9 years: come to our craft sessions to help make a frieze of Roald Dahl characters! We'll be using a pom pom to make a giant peach, and a yarn bug that you can take home with you!
- Hale Library on Monday 1 August at 2pm
- Town Hall Library on Thursday 18 August, 2.00-3.30pm. Come and join us at Trafford Town Hall Library on Thursday 18th August for an afternoon of Big Friendly Read fun. See if you can find the Roald Dahl characters hidden in the courtyard, make a Giant Peach just like James, sign up for the reading challenge, and much more. Fancy dress is optional. Places are limited so please see the staff on reception at Trafford Town Hall to book your place
- Altrincham Library on Monday 22 August at 11am.
Sessions last for an hour, and children must be accompanied by an adult. Please see staff for details.
We have Roald Dahl craft sessions at various libraries during August for children ages 4-11 years.
- Thursday 4 August 2.30-4.00pm at Urmston Library
- Monday 15 August 2.30-4.00pm at Woodsend Library
- Monday 22 August 11am-12noon at Stretford Library
- Thursday 25 August 2.30 at Urmston Library
- Every Wednesday 12noon at Old Trafford Library
Roald Dahl Book Art Workshops
Tuesday 9 August
- Timperley Library 11am-12 noon
- Altrincham Library 2.30-3.30pm
Thursday 11 August
- Stretford Library 11am-12 noon
- Urmston Library 2.30-3.30pm
These events are free and are suitable for children aged 5 -11 years. Numbers are limited to 15 per workshop.
To book send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Reading Challenge Medal Ceremonies
Saturday 10 September with cartoonist Tony Husband
- Stretford Library 11am
- Urmston Library 2pm
Saturday 17 September with children's author Damian Harvey
- Sale Library 11am
- Altrincham Library 2pm
The medal ceremonies are open to children who are aged between 7 and 11 and have completed the Summer Reading Challenge. Numbers are limited. To book send an email to email@example.com