Dropped kerbs

In order to ensure correct construction, all domestic vehicle crossings or 'dropped kerbs' must be constructed by Trafford Council. We no longer allow third party contractors to carry out the work.

Planning permission is not usually required for such work, but will be if:

  • The property involved has the frontage directly on to a classified road
  • The property involved is a listed building
  • The property involved is other than a house for a single family, e.g. Flat, Maisonette, Commercial or Industrial Premises.

Requesting an estimate for a Dropped Kerb/Crossover

Back To Top

To request an estimate for a dropped kerb/crossover please write to us at:

Highway Services
Bridgewater House
148 Manchester Road
M31 4QN

Email: traffordhighways@amey.co.uk
Tel: 03330 035865

Please include:

  • A cheque for £38 made payable to 'Amey LG'
  • A brief sketch of your proposal.

Once we have received your payment, an Officer will visit the site and provide you with an estimate.

Should you then wish to proceed, the £38 estimate fee will be deducted from the overall cost of the work.

Special ConsiderationsPlanning permission is not usually required for such work, but will be if:

  • The property involved has the frontage directly on to a classified road
  • The property involved is a listed building
  • The property involved is other than a house for a single family, e.g. Flat, Maisonette, Commercial or Industrial Premises.

If it appears that your property comes within one of the above classifications and planning permission is required you should contact our Planning Department.

The Legal construction of a vehicle crossing does not give the occupier of the premises any particular rights, except to drive across the footway to gain access to his/her property with a private or light goods motor car, the crossing itself is part of the public highway. From the date that the Council accepts the completed crossing, they will assume responsibility for its maintenance at no cost to the occupier, apart from any damage caused by illegal use by heavy vehicles, etc.

If you decide to go ahead with the construction you must remove the fence, wall or hedge within the property at the place where the crossing will be located before construction can take place.

Permitted types of vehicles

Back To Top

A domestic vehicle crossing may only be used by a private light goods or similar vehicle. It may not be used by heavy goods vehicles or mechanical equipment. If a delivery, such as a skip, is made into the property, and in doing so the delivery damages the crossing, any repairs will be the responsibility of the occupier.

Size of the crossing

Back To Top

The width of a standard crossing is 2.44 metres at the back of the public footway. This increases to about 4.58 metres at the kerbline. Crossings up to twice that width or two separate crossings may be built where there is sufficient space to leave a continuous length of two metres of unused space at the kerbline. A crossing, which covers the full frontage, may not be permitted.

Shared access

Back To Top

Where the occupiers of two adjoining properties share a driveway, and wish to build a double width crossing to serve the two sites, one occupier should act on behalf of both parties.

Two crossings at the same property

Back To Top

Where a request is made for two crossings to serve the property and the space available means that the area between them is at or close to the minimum limits, i.e. two metres in width, a decision will have to be made as to the shape of the crossing. Where there is an existing crossing it may mean that this also will have to be modified.


Back To Top

Where you are intending to use gravel or a similar loose material for your hardstanding, you should consider the problem of some being carried on to the highway by the movement of the vehicle. This is especially true where the surface comes up to the boundary. Where material of this type is used, concrete or blacktop should be laid in a 500mm strip from the boundary to the start of the gravelled area. This will help to reduce any problem. If the material is carried onto the highway it will be the responsibility of the occupier to remove it by sweeping etc.


Back To Top

The parking area within your property must be built so that water does not drain from it across the footway. Suitable drainage must be provided within the boundaries of your property.

Standard finish

Back To Top

The standard finish to crossings is either blacktop or concrete. This will be decided by the Highway Authority when you apply for an estimate.

Street furniture

Back To Top

Where applicants have removed more of the wall or fence running along the boundary, than is required by the size of the crossing, it should be understood that an item of street furniture, i.e. lamp post, telegraph pole, traffic sign etc., may be erected at any time in the footway outside the area of a crossing, even though this may obstruct an area where there is no wall or similar feature.

Obstacles to construction

Back To Top

If the proposed position of the access is obstructed by a road sign, lamp post, or tree, etc. the location should be altered to avoid the obstacle. If this is not feasible, a decision will have to be made by the relevant section as to whether the item should be removed or relocated, the cost for this will be recoverable from the applicant.

If a statutory authority is required to carry out work by relocating a fire hydrant, telegraph pole etc. any charges for such work will be the responsibility of the applicant.

Alterations to your vehicle crossover

Back To Top

The Council may need to alter the layout of your vehicle crossover at any time, due to modifications in the footway or verge. Every effort will be made to maintain access to your property and the occupier of premises so affected will be given adequate notice of such works.


Back To Top

Any application for the construction of a domestic crossing may be refused or modified on the grounds of safety. The applicant must ensure that adequate sight lines are maintained to allow safe access to their property.

Gates across vehicle entrance

Back To Top

Gates fitted across the vehicle entrance to your property may in no circumstances open outwards across the footpath or carriageway in compliance with Section 153 of the Highways Act 1980.