Fixed penalty notices
A Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) is issued in lieu of prosecution.
If you feel the Fixed Penalty Notice has been wrongly issued, and you can provide proof that it was not you that committed the offence you can contact us, in writing or by email, stating the reasons that you believe the FPN is incorrect. If the FPN is judged to have been incorrectly issued it will be withdrawn.
If you have received a correctly issued Fixed Penalty Notice your only right of appeal is in a court. Upon receiving an FPN, there are two options available:
- Pay the FPN within the 14 calendar days.
- Await the court summons or request a court hearing.
Your payment must reach us within 14 days of the 'Notice' being served, i.e. the date shown on bottom of the 'Notice'.
Payment of the £50 'Environmental Fixed Penalty' is required in full, in one payment. If you fail to pay within 14 days, we will initiate court proceedings.
How to appealIf you should request a court hearing, you will be required to attend a magistrate's court to have your case heard. You will need to consider the following:
- You may need to contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for advice.
- You may need to involve the services of a Solicitor.
- You will need to consider the evidence that may be presented in the court in prosecution of the case.
- If the court finds against you, you may be liable to a higher fine, a criminal record, and a possible prison sentence.
- If the court finds against you, you may be liable for court costs.
How to pay a Fixed Penalty NoticeYou can pay a Fixed Penalty Notice:
Payment may be made by credit or debit card using our 24 hour payment line by calling 0845 371 9901.
You will need the reference number shown in the top right hand corner on the front of the fixed penalty notice when making any payment.
Cheques are to be made payable to Trafford Council and crossed with 'Account Payee only'. All payments by post should be accompanied by the white copy of this Fixed Penalty Notice. Please send your payment to:
Community Safety Patrol Team
Trafford Town Hall
If you are sending cash you are advised to send it by registered post.
In person (cash or cheque)
You can pay your fixed penalty at any staffed library in Trafford. In making a payment in person, please make sure you bring the white copy of the Fixed Penalty Notice.