Social care complaints

We value your complaints, comments and compliments. They tell us what we are doing wrong, what we could do better and what we are doing right and help us to improve the quality of our services.

How to make a complaint or comment

You can make a complaint or comment online or by email, phone or post. 

Make a comment or complaint online

You can write to us at:

Integrated Customer Engagement Team - Adult Social Care
Trafford Council
Trafford Town Hall
Talbot Road
M32 0TH

If you are a service user or carer, who has information and / or communication support needs which are related to a disability, impairment or sensory loss we can provide this information in a different format to suit your needs. Inform member of the Integrated Customer Engagement Team by:  

Email at or phone on 0161 912 2000

Who can complain

Any person receiving or wanting a service from Social Services, their parents or carers.

Next steps

More information is available in our:

Who else can support you

If you would like some support to help you to say what you want there are Independent Advice and Advocacy Services in the borough.