Free School Meals Privacy Notice
Our core data protection obligations and commitments are set out in the Council’s primary privacy notice.
This notice provides additional privacy information for:
- Schools and free school meals applicants
We collect, or obtain your personal information for the following purpose:
- To assess the eligibility for free school meals for the duration of the child’s school life
Categories of personal data
In order to carry out these purposes we collect and obtain:
- Parent/Guardian’s Full Name
- Parent/Guardian’s National Insurance Number
- Parent/Guardian’s Date of Birth
- Parent/Guardian’s Address and other contact details
- Child’s Full Name
- Child’s Address
- Child’s School
- Child’s Date of Birth
- Proof of your qualifying benefits
Legal basis for processing
The legal basis for processing your personal information is:
- Our legal basis for using your personal data is “legal obligation".
- Our legal basis for using your special category (sensitive) personal data is “substantial public interest".
If you fail to provide certain information when requested, we will not be able to assess your child’s entitlement for free school meals
We may share personal information about you with the following types of organisations:
- Schools- to enable the school meal to be provided
- Other teams within Trafford Council- to enable smooth application process and for the prevention and detection of fraud, should we suspect it
- Department for Education (DfE)- using the online eligibility check service, to establish entitlement
As well as information collected directly from you, we also obtain or receive information from:
- Other teams within Trafford Council
- Department for Education (DfE)- via the online eligibility check
For this service:
- All the decisions we make about you involve human intervention
- For unsuccessful applications, your information will be kept for the period of the current financial year plus one year
- For Successful applications, your information will be kept until the end of the service plus one year
Rights of individuals
- exercising your rights
- contacting our Data Protection Officer
- raising a concern with us, or
- making a complaint to the Information Commissioner is accessible in our Guide to exercising your rights.
We may update or revise this Privacy Notice at any time so please refer back to this page regularly for the most up-to-date version.
This page was last modified: Wednesday 24 July 2019 18:16