Legal Services Privacy Notice
Our core data protection obligations and commitments are set out in the Council’s primary privacy notice.
This notice provides additional privacy information for
- All individuals in respect of whose data is processed to enable the Council to carry out its statutory functions
- Partners working with Trafford Council
We collect, or obtain your personal information for the following purpose(s):
- To manage legal cases and to ensure that the Council is acting in a lawful manner
Categories of personal data
In order to carry out these purposes we collect and obtain:
The following areas of law / common law:
- Adult Social Care
- Local Government
- Judicial Review
- Information Law
Legal basis for processing
The legal basis for processing your personal information is:
- Article 6(1)(c) of General Data Protection Regulation –Legal Obligation
- Article 6(1)(e) of General Data Protection Regulation – Performance of a task in the public interest
For special category personal data, the Council relies upon:
- Article 9(2)(g), i.e. processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest.
- Article 9(2)(f) i.e. Processing is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims or whenever courts are acting in their judicial capacity
Consequences if information is not provided
If the information is not provided we would be unable to comply with the Council’s duties contained in legislation and to ensure that services provided by the Council are done so in a lawful way.
Information sharing / recipients
We may share information about you with the following types of organisations:
- Other Council services
- National Regulators e.g. Information Commissioner’s Office
- The Courts, judges, coroners, Crown Prosecution Service, Tribunals
- Legal representatives of other parties
- Barristers and external solicitors acting on behalf of the Council
- Expert witnesses
- The Police and other crime enforcement agencies.
- Other public authorities e.g. schools, NHS, councils, government departments (HMRC, DWP, Immigration etc.)
- Land Registry
- Debt collectors
- Union representatives (with consent).
- Elected Members and MPs (as your representative)
- the Office of the Official Solicitor and Public Guardian
- Deputies appointed by the Court of Protection and Attorneys appointed under Lasting Powers of Attorney.
- Trafford Housing Trust
All the decisions we make about you involve human intervention and are not automated.
Data retention / criteria
We will only keep your personal information for as long as the law specifies or where the law does not specify this, for the length of time determined by our business requirements.
Rights of individuals
- exercising your rights
- contacting our Data Protection Officer
- raising a concern with us, or
- making a complaint to the Information Commissioner is accessible in our Guide to exercising your rights.
If you wish to complain to the Information Commissioner the contact details are:
Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House Water Lane,Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF
If you wish to exercise your rights (as outlined above) or to raise a concern about the handling of your personal information by the Council, please contact our Information Governance Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We may update or revise this Privacy Notice at any time so please refer back to this page for the most up-to-date version.
This page was last modified: Monday 20 July 2020 10:49