Special Educational Needs (SEN) Advisory Service Privacy Notice
Our core data protection obligations and commitments are set out in the Council’s primary privacy notice.
This notice provides additional privacy information for:
Children and young people who have been referred to the SEN Advisory Service
We collect, or obtain your personal information for the following purposes:
- To maintain up-to-date contact information for children and families so that we are able to communicate with you about your child
- To record advice and strategies given to educational settings to aid them in supporting your child and meeting their special educational needs
- To audit the numbers of children and young people we support/advise with particular types of need and at which settings
- To deliver services and support by ensuring other statutory or voluntary agencies with whom the council is working, are able to deliver ‘joined up’ services to you
- To manage and check the quality of our services
- To help investigate any concerns or complaints you have about our services and for answering enquiries under access legislation
Categories of personal data
In order to carry out these purposes we collect and obtain:
- Names, dates of birth, addresses, school, college or Early Years settings of children and young people referred to the service
- Names, telephone and email contacts for parents/carers of children and young people referred to the service
- Medical information regarding the child/ young person, where necessary, as this may involve information about other conditions and diagnoses that you have agreed to share with us
- Information about the children and young people’s development, abilities, challenges and attainments from education settings and other agencies e.g. Educational Psychology Service, Trafford Sensory Impairment Support Service, Speech and Language Therapy, Trafford Therapy services.
- Standardised and non- standardised assessments which we carry out to assess and support settings in tracking and monitoring progress
Legal basis for processing
The legal basis for processing your personal information is:
- You, or your legal representative, have given consent
- It’s necessary to perform statutory functions such as EHC assessment and compliance with EHCPs
- It’s necessary to deliver the service
- It’s necessary to protect you or others from harm
We may share personal information about you with the following types of organisations:
- Your child’s educational setting
- The Local Authority’s Education, Health and Care Assessment Team
- Other professionals involved with you/your child from education, health or social care where relevant e.g. Educational Psychology, speech and language therapy, Social Care.
Your personal information may also be shared with other organisations, such as those who assist us in providing services and those who perform technical operations such as data storage and hosting on our behalf.
We will only share with your written consent unless there is a safeguarding concern in which case we may share with children’s social care without your consent if necessary.
As well as information collected directly from you, we may also obtain or receive information from:
- You child’s current or previous schools/early years settings
- Another service who feel you or your child needs our support e.g. speech and language therapist or Trafford Early Development Service (TEDS)
For this service:
- There are no automated decisions made by the service. All decisions are made through professional consideration of any data and information that we hold.
Our Corporate Retention Schedule outlines how long we retain certain types of information. For further information on how long we retain your data in accordance with retention guidelines, please contact email@example.com
Rights of individuals
We may update or revise this Privacy Notice at any time so please refer back to this page for the most up-to-date version.
This page was last modified: Wednesday 24 July 2019 18:18