Early Education Privacy Notice
Our core data protection obligations and commitments are set out in the Council’s primary privacy notice.
This notice provides additional privacy information for parents who apply for a free early education place in one of the following types of provision in Trafford:
- School nursery class
- Private day nursery
- Preschool playgroup
- Out of school club
- Ofsted registered childminder
- Nursery unit of an independent school
We collect or obtain your personal information for the following purposes:
- To check your eligibility for a 2 year old place, 30 hours free childcare, early years pupil premium and disability access fund.
- To process your application for a place and allocate funding to your early years provider for this place.
- To complete the statutory Early Years Census which is an annual data collection conducted by the Department for Education.
- To monitor the take up of early education entitlements so we can plan ahead to make sure there are enough places available in the future. Your child’s information may be anonymised for this purpose unless this would frustrate the purpose of the research.
Categories of personal data
In order to carry out these purposes we collect and obtain the following information:
- Parent personal identifiers and contacts (such as name, date of birth, contact details, address, National Insurance Number, National Asylum Seeker Service number)
- Child personal identifiers and contacts (such as name, unique pupil number, contact details and address)
- Child characteristics (such as gender and ethnicity)
- Child special education needs and disability (including needs and related benefits they may receive)
Legal basis for processing
The legal basis for processing your personal information is:
If you fail to provide certain information when requested, we may be prevented from complying with our legal obligations under the s7 of the Childcare Act 2006, s1 of the Education Act 2011 and s1 of the Childcare Act 2016 to secure early years provision free of charge for eligible children.
We may share personal information about you with the following types of organisations:
- Your Ofsted registered early education provider so they can provide your place.
- Department for Education as we have a statutory duty to provide information about all children in early years provision for the annual Early Years Census.
- Trafford Children’s Centre and Early Help Hubs to register your child with them.
- Other services which are part of our integrated service for children and families including midwifery, health visiting, early years and early help services to make sure your child has the best start in life.
As well as information collected directly from you, we may also obtain or receive information from your early education provider, your healthcare professional and any other agency working with your child. We also receive a list from the Department for Work and Pensions which tells us the names of parents who have a child likely to be eligible for a free 2 year old place.
Data transfers beyond EEA
This is covered in Trafford Council’s primary privacy notice.
For this service, all the decisions we make about you involve human intervention.
Checking whether you are eligible for an early education entitlement or funding stream is initially done using a national automated eligibility checking system. If the outcome of this automated decision is that you are not eligible, there is then a human intervention to seek further evidence to make sure it is the correct decision.
Our Retention Schedule outlines how long we retain certain types of information for.
Rights of individuals
Please see Trafford Council’s primary privacy notice for information about:
- exercising your rights
- contacting our Data Protection Officer
- raising a concern with us, or
- making a complaint to the Information Commissioner
We may update or revise this Privacy Notice at any time so please refer back to this page for the most up-to-date version.
This page was last modified on 09/02/2019 21:36:00