New Driver Application

You must have passed the Knowledge test and completed the Induction course to complete this form.


The required documents are listed below:

  • Proof of National Insurance e.g a HMRC headed letter, pay slip, P60 or your NI card
  • Proof of address e.g bank statement or utility bill
  • Right to Work documentation 
  • Proof of ability in English (speaking and listening)
  • DVLA photo card licence
  • DVLA check code
  • Statutory declaration
  • DBS Certificate - this must be registered on the update service
  • Group 2 Medical - dated within 4 months
  • If applicable, overseas criminal record check/certificate of good conduct
  • Passport style photograph (this can be self taken against a plain background)


Driving licence

Applications will only be accepted from applicants who are aged 21 years old or older and that have held a full driving licence issued in the UK, the European Community (EC) or one of the other countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) for at least 12 months (the requirement is to have held the full licence for at least 12 months, not 12 months since the date that the driver passed the driving test).

EC/EEC licence

Applicants can drive in Great Britain on a full, valid driving licence. If applicants are younger than 67 when they became a resident, they can drive on their EU licence until they are 70. If they were 67 or older when they became a resident, they can drive on their EU licence for 3 years after that point.

Applicants can exchange their EU licence for a UK licence when they can not drive on it anymore.

Any other country

Applicants can drive in Great Britain on a full, valid driving licence for 12 months from when they became resident. After 12 months they will need to apply for a provisional licence and pass the theory and practical driving tests to drive in the UK.

Driving licence check

The counterpart of the driving licence has now been abolished and endorsements are recorded electronically by the DVAS. In order for applicants to confirm their driving licence record to us they will be required to access their record by logging onto the GOV.UK share driving licence service where they can generate a “Check Code” which must be supplied with their application.

This service is free and should be used by both paper and photo card driving licence holders. We will be unable to process an application until confirmation of the DVSA licence has been supplied.

Motoring offences will be dealt with in accordance with the Authority’s Statement of Policy about Relevance of Convictions. 

Qualifications and skills

Applicants (who are not existing licence holders) that submit their application for a drivers licence on or after the date on which this policy comes into effect will be required to provide evidence of the following qualifications / skills before a licence will be issued:

  • English language standard

English language standard

Applicants must provide evidence of ability in English (speaking and listening) at least to Entry Level 3 standard (as defined in the Regulated Qualifications Framework); or a similar qualification at an equivalent level.

Applicants who have an international qualification must be able to satisfy us that the qualification meets the requirement of English (speaking and listening) to Entry Level 3. UK NARIC is the designated UK national agency for the recognition and comparison of international qualifications and skills. We will accept an English Language Assessment completed by NARIC showing the applicant has a qualification equivalent to Entry Level 3 English.

We reserve the right to refuse to accept a certificate of qualification as proof of an applicant or licence holder meeting a requirement if it is not satisfied as to the authenticity of the certificate or the quality / reliability of any part of the process that lead to the certificate being issued.

You can view all fees and charges relevant to the driver application process on our licensing fees and charges page.

For more information on the application process and acceptable ID documents can be found in the Guidance to the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver Application Process.

Next steps

Once the officer has reviewed your application and is satisfied that your application meets the councils requirements, you will be contacted and advised how to make payment. Your application will then be determined by the Licensing Officer or Public Protection Sub-Committee. 

  • Would you like to apply for both a Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Driver Badge?