Christmas support payment for wet-led pubs

The Government has announced the introduction of a £1,000 one-off payment as additional support to ‘wet-led pubs’, in areas under Tier 2 or 3 restrictions between the 2 and 29 December 2020.

We are now inviting applications from 'wet-led' pubs that derive under 50% of their income from food sales.

You will need to apply even if you have already been paid a Tier 2 and / or Tier 3 grant.

Who is eligible

The grants are available for wet-led pubs that must have been trading on 30 November, or would have been if national 'lockdown' measures were not in place and, under normal circumstances, derive less than 50% of its income from sales of food and can be described as.

  • Open to the general public
  • Allow free entry other than when occasional entertainment is provided
  • Allow drinking without requiring food to be consumed
  • Permit drinks to be purchased at a bar

Businesses that are also in receipt of other Local Restrictions Support Grants - for example LRSG (Closed) or Additional Restrictions Grant, can also receive this grant.

Who is not eligible?

  • For these purposes, the definition of a pub should exclude: restaurants, cafes, nightclubs, hotels, snack bars, guest houses, boarding houses, sporting venues, music venues, festival sites, theatres, museums, exhibition halls, cinemas, concert halls and casios
  • Pubs that derive over 50% of their income from food sales
  • Businesses in areas moving from Tier 1 to Tier 2 or Tier 3 after 29 December
  • Businesses that have already received grant payments that equal the maximum levels of State aid permitted under the de minimis, the COVID-19 Temporary State Aid Framework and all other UK schemes under the terms of the European Commission's Temporary Framework
  • Businsesses that are in administration, insolvent or where a striking-off notice has been made


Eligible wet-led pubs will be able to access a one-off flat-rate grant of £1,000 (payable by BACSs) to cover all of the period between 2 and 29 December 2020.

Before you start

You will need the following information to complete the application form:

  • Your Business Rates Account Reference Number (this will be on your most recent bill).
  • A copy of your latest bank statement (one issued within the last three months which clearly shows the name of the business or ratepayer; address; sort code and account number).


You may face prosecution if you have manipulated or falsified your position in order to obtain these payments.

Any payment made as a result of fraud may be subject to claw back, as may any grants paid in error.

The Government is supporting local councils to make the necessary checks to ensure payments can be verified and have been made correctly.

State aid

The United Kingdom left the EU on 31 January 2020. Under the Withdrawal Agreement, the State Aid rules continue to apply during a transition period, subject to regulation by the EU Commission.

Businesses who receive awards of Government grant funding such as the Local Restrictions Support Grants are required to comply with the EU law on State Aid.

Payments made will be provided under the existing De Minimis rules, provided doing so does not exceed the €200,000 threshold.

Payments made where the De Minimis threshold has been reached will be paid under the Covid-19 Temporary Framework for UK Authorities (threshold €800,000).

Businesses that have reached the limits of payments permissible under the De Minimis and the UK COVID-19 Temporary State Aid Framework will not be able to receive further grant funding.

Data sharing

Trafford Council will use your data for the processing of your Local Restriction Support  and/or Christmas Support for wet-led pubs Grant application.

We may check the information you provide or the information about you which somebody else provides, with other details we hold. If the law allows us, we may also receive information from other people or organisations or give information to them to check the accuracy of records, to prevent or detect crime, or to protect public funds in other ways.

All information is processed in accordance with the Council’s data protection policy .

Application process

You can apply for the Christmas Support for wet-led pubs grant if you are registered for Business Rates and less than 50% of your income is derived from food sales.

We do not accept applications from third parties.

Christmas Support for wet-led pub grants are subject to tax and will need to be declared by businesses in their tax returns.

Apply for a Christmas Support Payment for wet-led pubs