Food Labelling and Composition

There are many legal requirements which cover the composition and labelling of food to which all caterers, manufacturers, distributors and retailers of food need to follow. In December 2014, the general food labelling requirements previously laid down in the Food Labelling Regulations 1996, were largely replaced by EU Regulation 1169/2011 on the provision of information for consumers (FIC) and the UK Food Information Regulations 2014 (FIR).

The FIC and FIR also introduce mandatory allergen labelling on pre-packed food and requirement for the provision of allergen information at restaurants and takeaways. Food Standards Agency has produced guidance for small businesses, a range of resources to assist businesses to comply, and on line training.

We have also produced Allergen Charts and Example Recipe Charts to further assist food businesses.   

There are also a range of product specific regulations covering particular foods such as bottled water, bread and flour, cocoa and chocolate products, fats and oils, fruit juices, honey, jams and preserves, meat and meat products, milk and milk products etc. and organic food and specific regulations which govern the Nutrition and Health Claims that can be made in relation to food (e.g. low fat, source of protein, lowers cholesterol etc.)

Furthermore there are specific rules and restrictions governing food imports into the UK from outside the European Union.

A full range of detailed guidance on food labelling can be found on the website and Business Companion website which includes in depth guides on allergens labelling, labelling of sweets, jam and similar products, GM foods, organic foods and many more.

We appreciate this leglislation is complex and small businesses may find it difficult to interpret. If you have specific labelling queries regarding the food you manufacture or sell please contact us and we will try to answer your questions.

T: 0161 912 4509


M: Environmental Health Team, Trafford Town Hall, Talbot Road, Stretford, Manchester, M32 0TH

If however you require a detailed definitive legal interpretation we recommend you employ the services of a Public Analyst or similar food safety consultant.