Starting a new food business

Step 1 - Get your food business registered

Food premises need to be registered with Trafford Council’s Environmental Health Department 28 days before opening. Registration can be completed on our food premises registration page.

Once registered your food business will be subject to regular food hygiene visits.

Step 2 - Get you and your staff trained in food hygiene

Food handlers should complete food hygiene training that matches their duties.

Food handlers who handle open high risk food should have at least a level 2 food hygiene training certificate.

Details of training courses are available on our Food Hygiene training page.

Step 3 – Put a food safety management system in place

You are required to have a written food safety management system based on Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) principles.


The Food Standards Agency (FSA) recommended “Safer Food Better Business for Caterers” which you can obtain, without charge.


Alternatively you can write your own HACCP document using these guidelines

What else do I need to know?

Make sure you comply with minimum hygiene requirements:

  • The structure of food rooms should be non-porous, in good repair and easy to clean
  • Kitchens require a sink for washing equipment/food and a separate wash hand basin solely for the use of hand washing
  • This hand washing facility should be provided with a supply of hot and cold (or adequately mixed) running water, suitable drainage, hand soap and disposable hand towels.

If you require further advice or would like to request a visit from an officer before you start to trade, details can be found on our food safety advice page.

Most food businesses that sell food to the final consumer will be subject to a food hygiene rating score after being inspected. This will be published on a national website which anyone can view.

To find out more, visit National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme website

Contact other Council departments

You may need planning consent or a street traders licence depending on the nature of your food business.

If you require business start up support or advice, Trafford's Economic Growth team can offer advice - or email


Where to find further information

We have produced detailed guidance for mobile caterers.

Useful FSA Publications: