Accident reporting

As of 6 April 2012, RIDDOR’s over-three-day injury reporting requirement has changed. The trigger point has increased from over three days’ to over seven days’ incapacitation (not counting the day on which the accident happened).

A new leaflet Reporting accidents and incidents at work explains the change.

How to report and accident

The main way to report an accident is on-line via the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website:

All incidents can be reported on-line but a telephone service remains for reporting fatal or major injuries only:

  • Call the Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 9923 (Monday to Friday 8.30am - 5pm)

What needs to be reported?

The following incidents need to be reported:

Work-related accidents

  • Deaths
  • Major injuries
  • Over-seven day injuries, the report must be made within 15 days of the accident.

(You must still keep a record of the accident if the worker has been incapacitated for more than three consecutive days. If you are an employer, who must keep an accident book under the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979, that record will be enough.

Injuries to people not at work

  • Where a member of the public or person who is not at work has died, or is injured and they are taken from the scene of an accident to hospital for treatment.

Occupational diseases

Dangerous occurrences

Gas incidents

More details of which incidents are reportable can be found on the HSE website.