Car boot sales

To hold a car boot sale you may need authorisation or a licence from Trafford Council for the area where the sale will be held.

A car boot sale  should not include new goods and include only the sale of used goods. The car boot should be restricted as far as possible to householders selling surplus household articles.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation can be found on the Office of Public Sector Information website.

Apply online

To apply for a car boot please complete the Temporary Market License Application. Once completed please send to If you have any questions please feel free to call us on 0161 912 4502.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us within 28 days from the date of application.

Failed application redress or licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Advice Guide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

A to Z of Council Services