If you wish to let for hire or use a boat or vessel for carrying passengers for hire; and you are a person in charge of or navigating such boat or vessel you will need a pleasure boat licence and a boatman licence issued by Trafford Council.
The requirement to hold licences does not apply to boats or vessels licensed under Board of Trade Regulations or to those on a canal owned or managed by the British Waterways Board.
- you must be over 18 years of age
- you must have a full knowledge of all statutory rules, regulations and byelaws applicable to navigate on the water or waters for which the licence is required
- you must not suffer from any disease or physical disability which could affect your fitness to assist in the charge of pleasure boats, vessels or craft let for hire
- you must hold a valid insurance certificate to cover third party liability in respect of the boats/vessels operated
How will my application be evaluated?
Applications must be sent to Trafford Council for premises situated in the Trafford area.
Applications must be on the prescribed form and accompanied by:
- the fee
- any relevant qualifications certificate
- a recent medical form completed by your own doctor
- a valid insurance certificate
- such other information we may require to determine if you and the boat/vessel meets the eligibility criteria above.
On receipt of an application we will arrange an inspection of the boat/vessel.
Advertising the application
The application does not need to be advertised
How much does it cost?
There is an application fee which must be paid at the time an application is made. Please contact us for further information.
Will tacit consent apply?
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us at the end of 28 days. Where objections have been received to the application, we must determine the application within 56 days. Please contact us if we notify you that objections have been made.
How to apply
Please contact us to request an application form.
What if the application is refused?
Please contact us in the first instance.
If we withhold, suspend or revoke a licence you may appeal to Trafford Magistrate's Court after two days of receiving our decision. The address of Trafford Magistrates is:
Trafford Magistrates Court
PO Box 13
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made to the service provider by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Advice Guide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you provide on any application form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.