Temporary event notice

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event in Trafford where alcohol and/or entertainment or late night refreshment are provided, you must give a temporary event notice (TEN) to us no later than ten working days before the event. If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

You must also give a copy of the notice to the police and environmental health team no later than ten working days before the event if you are applying by post.

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between events.

Eligibility criteria

The temporary event notice should contain:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the your authority.
  • a statement relating to certain matters.
  • any other required information.

The matters referred to above are:

  • details of the licensable activities.
  • the event period.
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place.
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters.

Relevant regulation

Application process

If the TEN is given in writing by post, it must be received by us at least ten working days before the event. The fee is £21 and payable to Trafford Council with the notice.

We will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a permit to you before the end of the first working day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

If you apply by post please send your completed, original form together with the notice fee of £21 to :

Trafford Council,
Licensing Section,
Trafford Town Hall,
Talbot Road,
M32 0TH

You must also give notice to the chief officer of Greater Manchester Police and Environmental Health Team at Trafford Council, no later than ten working days before the event. If you apply online we will send copies of your notice to the police and environmental health for you.

The address of the relevant police station is:

The Chief Officer
Greater Manchester Police
M Division
Stretford Police Station
Talbot Road
M32 0XB

The address of the relevant Environmental Health Team is :

Environmental Health Team
Public Protection Service
Trafford Council
Trafford Town Hall
M32 0TH

The chief police officer and environmental health officer who receives your notice and believes that the event would undermine the licensing objectives of crime prevention and public nuisance can serve an objection notice on us.

This notice must be served within 72 hours of receipt of your temporary event notice.

Where an objection notice is served we must hold a hearing to determine whether we will allow the event to take place or whether we will issue a counter notice.

We may issue a counter notice which would prevent the event from going ahead if we consider it necessary for the promotion of the crime prevention objective. In either case we must make a decision at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

A police chief may contact you to discuss modifying your TEN, and if you agree to any changes any police objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

We may issue a counter notice where we believe you have exceeded the number of TENs permitted by the Licensing Act., which are 12 notices per premises per calendar year.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your notice is granted if you have not heard from us after ten working days.

Where tacit consent is applicable, it will only apply for licences / registrations that are submitted electronically or the business can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier.

How to apply

You can apply via our online form.

TEN Form

What if the notice is refused?

Please contact us in the first instance using the details at the bottom of the page.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice you may appeal against the decision to Trafford Magistrates' Court within 21 days. However, an appeal must be lodged at least five working days before the planned event.

How do I complain?

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the service provider by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Advice Guide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

If we decide not to issue a counter notice following an objection notice from the chief police officer, then the police can appeal that decision. The police must appeal to Trafford Magistrates' court within 21 days. However, an appeal must be lodged at least five working days before the planned event.

Trade associations

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided to us for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

For further information on data matching to prevent and detect fraud and corruption see the Council's Level 2 National Fraud Initiative Privacy Notice. For further information you can also refer to Trafford Council’s own Privacy Notices.