Planning and Development information

Service update

Our Planning Service is operating in the face of unprecedented challenges resulting from the pandemic and a significant increase in planning application submissions. We are continuing to react and bring forward different ways of working and resources as quickly as possible. However, workloads across the service remain exceptionally high which is affecting response times from Officers which are much longer than normal.

Householder planning applications

There is currently a backlog of householder applications and as a consequence different processes are currently in place to manage the work as efficiently as possible. We understand this is not ideal for our customers and are working hard to reduce the waiting times but would thank you in advance for your patience.

Most applications are now taking 3-6 months to determine, longer for more complex matters. Applications continue to be validated but allocation to a case officer is being delayed to manage workloads.

• It can take up to 3 months for an application to be allocated to a case officer.

• Once allocated the appropriate publicity and consultations will take place and agents or applicants will be contacted by the case officer within 2 weeks to provide an initial update and time frame for decision.

• We will be asking applicants / agents for extensions of time on applications where necessary.

• See the website for comments and consultation responses and await contact from the case officer before asking the Service for an update on your application.

Making representations

If you wish to make representations (objecting or in support) on an application use the online Search and Track facilities otherwise known as Public Access. You will in the first instance need to register and then you are able to make representations on the relevant application. We will be referring all representations to the online system.

Planning enforcement complaints

If you suspect an alleged breach of planning control, you should provide a written complaint so that we can carry out an investigation. You can report breaches of planning control by email to Include as much information as you can, including photographs if you have them.

More information about planning enforcement.

General enquiries and queries

If you have a general planning query, the general planning telephone number (0161 912 3149) is currently being answered by our customer call centre— Access Trafford—who are taking a high volume of calls at the moment.

You can find answers to the most frequent queries either on our Planning Pages or on the Planning Portal, both these sites provide a range of planning information.

If you still need to contact us, you can email us at, though there may be some delay in responding to you.