Inspection of Building Work

Arranging site visits

Building work must be inspected during its progress and sufficient notice must be given to enable the Building Control Section to arrange site visits.

This applies to work sanctioned under both the Full Plans and Building Notice procedures. It is essential that the Commencement and Final Completion Notice is given.


When work starts you or your contractor should notify the Building Control Officer that work has commenced either by telephone or email ( During the course of the building operations the Building Control Officer will make a number of visits dependant on the extent and type of work involved. You should arrange for either yourself or your builder to contact the Building Control service and arrange for the inspections.

We will write to you after you have submitted an application detailing the inspections that we make at various stages and the total number of inspections that we will make.

As a guide the builder should notify your Local Building Control Officer at the following stages of work:

  • Commencement of work
  • Excavation to foundations; prior to covering up of any hardcore or damp proof membrane
  • Drains; prior to covering
  • Occupation; if prior to completion
  • Final completion

Your contact

Inspections are generally made on weekdays between 10am and 5pm.

Completion certificates

The Building Control service will provide on request a Certificate to verify that your work has been inspected to completion.

A Completion Certificate can be presented to financial institutions, solicitors, surveyors etc. when they require evidence that the work has been completed to the satisfaction of the Local Authority.

Underground services

During construction works, underground services (gas, electricity, water, telephone etc.) are often found. To ensure the continued safe operation of these services, you or your contractor should contact the relevant service supplier for advice, prior to the commencement of building works.

As the applicant/developer you are required to consider using a Sustainable Urban Drainage System (SUDS) to deal with the surface water run off arising from the proposed development wherever it is practicable. Please refer to; Building Regulations Approved Document H and CIRIA Publication C523 “Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems”.

The applicant and the contractor are responsible for ensuring that the drainage system(s) are connected to the appropriate public sewer system. This will have to be confirmed to Building Control.

Planning approval

You are reminded that Building Regulations approval does not imply approval under the Town and Country Planning Act. You should always check whether or not a planning application is required.