Do I need planning permission

Planning permission may be required for a wide variety of development, whether it be new building works or changes in the use of land or buildings. However, there are many kinds of alterations and additions to buildings and changes in the use of land or buildings for which you do not need to apply for planning permission.

In some cases where you do not need to apply for planning permission you will still need to apply for Building Regulations approval; approval to carry out works to protected trees; or some other form of statutory consent. It is the applicant's duty to ensure that all necessary consents are in place before carrying out a development.

Larger home extensions: neighbour consultation scheme

Householders can build larger single-storey rear extensions under permitted development. The size limits will double from 4 metres to 8 metres for detached houses and from 3 metres to 6 metres for all other houses. These new larger extensions (i.e. if they extend between 4 and 8 metres, or between 3 and 6 metres) must go through the following process:

  • A written description of the proposal which includes the length that the extension extends beyond the rear wall of the original house, the height at the eaves and the height at the highest point of the extension.
  • A plan of the site, showing the proposed development.
  • The addresses of any adjoining properties, including at the rear.
  • A contact address for the developer and an email address if the developer is happy to receive correspondence by email.
  • The form in the following section will help you decide if your development can proceed under permitted development rules.

Self assessment forms

We have developed a series of self assessment forms to help you determine whether or not you will need to apply for Planning Permission. The self assessment forms cover most types of development on your home.

If you answer "YES" to any questions or do not comply with any conditions then you will need to submit a planning application. This can be submitted on-line through the Planning Portal or by completing and posting an application form.

If you want written confirmation that planning permission is not required then you will need to submit a Certificate of Lawful Proposed Development.

Before completing the forms view our Guide for Designing Housing Extensions and Alterations, view our page of common projects or visit the Planning Portal and use their Visual Guides with step by step guidance.

Form A - Extension

Attached to the dwelling - includes conservatories, garages etc. and alterations to include windows, verandas, balconies etc.

Form B - Outbuildings

Includes sheds, greenhouses and garages as well as other ancillary garden buildings such as swimming pools, ponds, sauna cabins, kennels, enclosures (including tennis courts) and containers for domestic heating etc.

Form C - Porch

On an external door of a house.

Form D - Roof

Includes additions or alterations to a roof including dormers, roof extensions, roof lights, reroofing etc.

Form E - Chimneys, Flues, Soil, or Vent Pipes

Form F - Access, hardstanding and walls/fencing

Drives, hardstandings, walls, fences, gates, access, dropped kerbs, etc.

The self assessment forms do not provide you with a formal decision and will not confirm whether planning permission would be granted. If you require a formal decision as to whether a use or development, proposed or existing is lawful then you should submit an application for a certificate of Lawful Development. Further guidance is available Lawful Development Certificates - A User's Guide from GOV.UK and an application can be submitted on-line through the Planning Portal. Downloadable forms are also available to complete.

Related documents