Planning Application Forms

Submitting an application

We encourage you to submit your planning application online via the national Planning Portal.

Alternatively you can download the forms below and return by post.

Some of the documents included on these pages (such as PDFs) may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of any document in a more accessible format, please email us at or call 0161 912 3149.

The Town and Country Planning (Fees for Applications, Deemed Applications, Requests and Site Visits) (England) Regulations 2012 (as amended) sets the fee levels for planning applications.

Paying for an application

  1. Submit an application using the Planning Portal and pay the Planning Portal directly
  2. Submit an application by post and use the Council online payment method
  3. Submit an application by post and pay by cheque. Please make cheques payable to Trafford Council

Important note

All planning applications that comprise any of the following must be accompanied by a completed Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) question form so the Council can determine if an application is chargeable or not:

  • Development in excess of 100 square metres (GIA)
  • Householder application for works or extension to a house
  • The creation of a new dwelling
  • The conversion of a building

You can use these shortcuts to navigate this page:

Householder application

Back to top

Please remember that you may also need Building Regulations approval.

Full planning application

Back to top

If you require planning permission for any type of development other than alterations or extensions to an existing domestic dwelling, you will need to complete Full Planning Application form. Outline applications and reserved matters have separate application forms below.

Community Infrastructure Levy forms

Back to top

An application cannot be determined without a completed CIL Question Form and applicants will be reminded at the point of validation if a form is missing from the submission. For more information please see the CIL short guide for applicants.

The Trafford CIL Charging Schedule was formally approved at Full Council on the 26 March 2014, to come into effect on 07 July 2014.

Display of advertisement

Back to top

Any 'advertisement' (sign, placard, notice, hoarding which is used for the purposes of advertising), whether illuminated or not, will require a planning application.

Listed building consent and conservation area consent

Back to top

If you live in a listed building and/or conservation area, any alteration to the property will require permission. You may wish to contact the Planning Conservation Officer to discuss your plans before proceeding.

Please read the Trafford Conservation area information web page.

Telecommunications application

Back to top

Outline application forms

Back to top

Applications relating to previously imposed conditions

Back to top

Applications relating to Non Material Amendment

Back to top

Trees / hedgerows

Back to top

Certificate of Lawfulness

Back to top

Prior notifications

Back to top

Additional information regarding application certificates and notices

Back to top

You must complete a certificate stating the ownership of the property. One Certificate A, B, C, or D, must be completed, together with the Agricultural Holdings Certificate. The Certificates can be found at the end of the planning application form.

Complete Certificate A if you are the sole owner of all the land within the application boundary.

If you do not own the site, or your foundations will encroach onto land you do not own, you must complete Certificate B, C or D and then complete and serve the appropriate notice depending on your type of application or whether you know all the site owners.

Householder applications

If you are submitting a household application you need to use the Household Development Notice.

Non-householder applications

For all other applications Notice 1 is to be printed and served to owners if Certificate B or C is completed.

Where the owner is unknown the Notice to Unknown Owners, Notice 2, is for publication in a local newspaper if Certificate C or D is completed.

Non-material amendments applications

If you are submitting an application for non-material amendments you need to use the Non-Material Amendments notice.

A copy of the notice must also be sent with your application to the planning service.

You must wait at least 21 days before submitting your planning application if you have served a notice.

Consultation on application validation checklist

Back to top

The Council is currently consulting on a revised Application Validation Checklist. The Checklist indicates the plans and documents that must be provided for each type of planning application. The draft revised Checklist has been published for a six week consultation from 18th February to 1st April 2021. A copy of the consultation document is available to download below, alongside an explanatory note setting out the key changes and a North West SUDS proforma and guidance note which considers all aspects of sustainable drainage for major sites.

Comments are invited on the specific changes to the checklist only. Responses to the consultation should be e-mailed to or posted to Development Management, Trafford Council, Trafford Town Hall, Talbot Road, Stretford M32 0TH.

Following the consultation, the Council will review the comments, make amendments to the document where appropriate and publish the revised Application Validation Checklist.

Pre-application enquiry

Back to top


Back to top

Scale of charges – effective 17 January 2018

Planning guidance websites

Back to top

Useful websites

Back to top

Who to contact

Back to top

Development Management
Trafford Council
Trafford Town Hall
Talbot Road
M32 0TH

0161 912 3149