Reporting fraud

The monies lost through fraudulent activity takes away resources vital to the local authority. Trafford Council, in accordance with its Anti-fraud and Corruption strategy, will investigate any allegations of fraud that it is believed may be being committed against the authority.

What counts as fraud?

We want to hear from you about any activity being committed against the Council that you believe to be fraudulent. This could include:

Council Tax Support fraud
  • People who work, but don't declare this when they submit their claim.
  • People who claim as a single person, but actually live with a partner.
  • People who claim from an address, but do not live there.
  • People who do not declare the full amount of their income and savings when they claim people who do not report changes in their circumstances.

Report Council Tax support fraud

Council Tax fraud
  • Not registering for Council Tax when moving into a property.
  • Claiming to be the only person living in a property to get a single person discount, when other people are also resident, or the property is empty.
  • Claiming a student exemption that they are not entitled to.
  • Not reporting a change in their circumstances.

Report Council Tax fraud

Business rates fraud
  • Giving false information to reduce a business rates bill.
  • Not declaring a business has moved into premises to avoid being charged rates.
  • Creating a false tenancy to avoid paying business rates.

Report Business Rates fraud

Social care fraud
  • Continuing to accept social care payments after the eligible person has died.
  • Not passing on social care payments to a carer and using it to pay for other things.

Report social care fraud

Blue Badge fraud
  • Using a badge when the disabled person it belongs to is not present.
  • Using forged badges such as scans or photocopies.
  • Selling lost or stolen badges.

Report Blue Badge fraud

Council employee, councillor and contractor corruption
  • An officer or councillor using their position to secure a job, grant or contract for a friend or family member.
  • A contractor trading fraudulently by avoiding paying tax, or invoicing for services not being provided.
  • An officer or councillor using their position to avoid paying for something or obtaining services for themselves.
  • Making false overtime/expenses claims.

Report council employee, counciller or contractor corruption

Housing benefit fraud

Housing benefit fraud is now investigated by the Department for Work and Pensions. If you wish to report somebody who you believe is falsely claiming Housing Benefit please report it to:

The DWP National Benefit Fraud helpline
PO Box 224,
PR1 1GP,

Tel: 0800 8540440 (textphone 0800 320 0512)

or via the GOV.UK benefit fraud website.

Sometimes an investigation uncovers more than one type of fraud being committed by the same person. We will use the information you give us to stop any type of fraud we discover.

How to report fraud

If you wish to report somebody you believe is defrauding the Council, you can do so by contacting us in a number of different ways:

When you've reported fraud

We will take your allegation seriously, and we will investigate if we have enough information. Anything you tell us will be treated in the strictest confidence. However we cannot tell you about the progress of our investigations.

When we catch fraudsters we may:

  • Stop them getting the council service they've been fraudulently obtaining, for example their Blue Badge
  • Recover money fraudulently claimed
  • Prosecute them in the courts
  • Publicise our successful cases in the local press
  • Ensure that correct council tax and/or business rates liability is charged