This section describes the arrangements and support available to help young people of sixth form age attend education or training. It applies to:
- Young people age 16 to 19 years old who start a course before their 19th birthday.
- Young people up to age 25 if they have an education, health and care (EHC) plan and are continuing on a course started before their 19th birthday.
The arrangements can apply to education or training at:
- Further education institution
- Local authority maintained or assisted institution providing higher or further education
- 16 – 19 academy
- Any other establishment at which the local authority secures the provision of education or training
Young people are required to stay in education or training until their 18th birthday.