Pension Credit

Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income. Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as ground rent or service charges.

You might get extra help if you’re a carer, severely disabled, or responsible for a child or young person.

Pension Credit is separate from your State Pension. You can get Pension Credit even if you have other income, savings or own your own home.

If you get Pension Credit you can also get other help, such as:

  • Housing Benefit if you rent the property you live in
  • Support for Mortgage Interest if you own the property you live in
  • Council Tax discount
  • Free TV licence if you’re aged 75 or over
  • Help with NHS dental treatment, glasses and transport costs for hospital appointments
  • Help with your heating costs through the Warm Home Discount Scheme
  • Discount on the Royal Mail redirection service if you’re moving house

How to apply or find out more information

You can use the Pension Credit calculator to work out how much you might get.

More information can be found at GOV.UK or by ringing 0800 731 0469.

Alternative information and advice services include:

  • Welfare Rights Team (Trafford Council) who can be reached on 0161 912 2735 (Advice Line operates Monday to Friday between 9 am to 1 pm) or email at
  • Citizens Advice Bureau who can be reached via Freephone on 0808 278 7803. Lines are open Monday to Friday 08:30-17:30.