How to repay housing benefit overpayments

If you have been overpaid your housing benefits, there are number of ways you can repay.

Pay by credit or debit card

To pay by credit or debit card, you can either:

Pay by Direct Debit

Signing up to the Direct Debit scheme means you don't have to queue up to pay your bill. The scheme offers you complete peace of mind as it is guaranteed by your bank. If you want to pay by Direct Debit simply download a mandate, complete and return it to:

Trafford Council,
PO Box 542,
Sale M33 0GD.

Alternatively, you can email it to us at or call the Recovery section to set this instruction up over the telephone on 0161 912 2223.

Pay at the Post Office or any Payzone Outlet

You can pay by cash, cheque or debit card at any Post Office using the barcode on the front of your invoice or reminder / final notice. This is a free service.

Payments can also be made at any of the 30,000 Payzone Outlets in the UK using your barcode. There is no charge for this service.

Pay by standing order

If you prefer to pay your overpayment by standing order, complete a standing order instruction form and send this to your bank.