Overpayments how to repay

If you want to pay your council tax by credit or debit card, you can either:

By Direct Debit

Signing up to the Direct Debit scheme means you don't have to queue up to pay your bill. The scheme offers you complete peace of mind as it is guaranteed by your bank. If you want to pay by Direct Debit simply download a mandate, complete and return it to Trafford Council, PO Box 542, Sale M33 0GD. Alternatively, you can email it to us at recovery@trafford.gov.uk or call the Recovery section to set this instruction up over the telephone on 0161 912 2223.

At the Post Office or any Payzone Outlet

Post Office

You can pay by cash, cheque or debit card at any Post Office using the barcode on the front of your invoice or reminder/final notice. This is a free service.


Payments can also be made at any of the 30,000 Payzone Outlets in the UK using your barcode. There is no charge for this service.

By Standing Order

If you prefer to pay your overpayment by standing order, complete a Standing Order Instruction form and send this to your bank.