Household Support Fund

Free School Meals Holiday Award

The free school meal holiday award at £15 per week per child will continue in the 6 week summer holidays when the current funding ends. 

If your child qualifies and you live in Trafford, you will need to apply online. Your child’s school will email you with more details in July. Look out for this in your mailbox and check your junk/spam messages. The online form eligibility criteria will be matched against the free school meals register, so if you are currently entitled to but not claiming free school meals, it is important that you do this to receive your holiday awards.

If your child qualifies and attends a Trafford school but you do not live in Trafford you will be a sent a supermarket voucher automatically through your school. You do not need to complete the application form.

If your child's school is outside Trafford, their free school meal holiday awards will be dealt with by the local authority the school is in. Go to GOV.UK and enter the postcode of the school your child attends to find out how to get them. You do not need to complete the application form.

If you are entitled to Free School Meals because you have been in receipt of Universal Credit since before the April 2018 you will not be on the register but we may still be able to award you a supermarket voucher. Complete the application form and if it states you are not eligible, follow the instructions for a manual decision.

Our frequently asked questions provides more information about the award.

Household Support Fund

We are encouraging low income households to make an application for support with food, fuel and water bills. If you qualify, we will pay your combined award into your bank account which will be credited within three working days. The Household Support Fund is a cash-first scheme, but if you don’t have a bank account we can send you a voucher. 

Before you start

Before you apply you will need:

  • Your personal details including your National Insurance Number
  • Details of anyone living with you
  • You may also be asked for details of the money you receive and pay out

Apply online

There are a maximum number of awards that can be granted in a 12 month period, if you have reached this and require further support please consider the following organisations:

  • Support for other wider essentials will be provided by the 6 Community Response Hubs that are hosted by voluntary sector organisations located across Trafford. They can by approached directly, please contact your nearest hub and ask about the Household Support Grant.
  • Families who are risk of eviction due to rent arrears can seek advice from the Council’s Housing Options Service Trafford (HOST). HOST have established a fund to support families in this situation. For more information, please contact HOST on 0161 912 2230 or email
  • If you require support completing the application form or for general information including benefits advice, legal, money, employment, housing and immigration you can contact the Citizens Advice service.

 Household Support Fund - Pensioners

We know that digital access can be a barrier to some pensioner households and so we want to make sure that pensioners who would otherwise struggle with energy bills, food and water bills do not miss out. Trafford Council will therefore be issuing a £100 voucher automaticallly to each pensioner household in receipt of Council Tax Support by the end of April.

We will still be offering support to other pensioners who are strugglingto pay who are unable to access the online form through our funded Community Hubs as well as being able to offer support to claim through our Contact Centre.