Housing Benefit

What has changed?

From 1 April 2011 there will be staged increases in the rates of non-dependant deductions for both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. By April 2014, these increases will bring the rates to the level they would have been had they been fully increased each year since 2001 (when the rates were frozen).

These deductions are taken off Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit awards for other adults (other than a partner) living in a property. For example a deduction would be made for a grown up son or daughter. The amount we deduct depends upon how much income the other adult receives.

What should I do if I can no longer afford to pay my rent?

You can talk to your non-dependant and see if they will contribute more towards the household costs.

We may also be able to help some people to meet the gap between their benefit entitlement and the rent they pay by awarding a discretionary housing payment. The amount of money available for these payments is limited so we will have to consider your circumstances carefully.