Personal Independence Payments

What is changing?

From 8 April 2013, a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment (PIP) replaced the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for disabled people aged 16 to 64. There are no plans to change DLA for children under 16 years old and adults aged 65 or over (who already receive DLA). 

PIP helps with some of the extra costs caused by ill-health or disability. It’s based on how your condition affects you, not what condition you have.

What you’ll get

Payments will be made up of a daily living component and a mobility component. You could get money for one or both parts, at either a standard or enhanced rate.

The rates are:

  • Mobility standard £21
  • Mobility enhanced £55.25
  • Daily living component standard £53
  • Daily living component enhanced £79.15

How will PIP be assessed?

PIP is based on an assessment of individual need. The new assessment will focus on an individual’s ability to carry out a range of key activities necessary to everyday life. Information will be gathered from the individual, as well as healthcare and other professionals who work with and support them. Most people will also be asked to a face to face consultation with a trained independent assessor as part of the claim process.

Who is affected?

You will be affected if you need to make a new claim for PIP on or after 1 April 2013.

If you already receive Disability Living Allowance and are aged between 16 and 64 on 8 April 2013 then you will need to apply for the new Personal Independence payment. The Department for Work and Pensions will be getting in touch with people with life or indefinite awards from October 2015.

Anyone who receives a fixed term award of DLA after October 2013 will have to claim PIP.

There is no automatic transfer from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payment.

For more information about Personal Independence Payments visit