Welfare reform changes

If you have been affected, or are likely to be affected by changes to the benefits system, it’s important to find out now what your options are.

Use the welfare reform calculator and the following information to find out more.

Household Support Fund

The Government has announced that it will be extending the Household Support Fund to 31st March 2023 to help support vulnerable households. 

The Benefits Cap

There is a limit on the total amount of benefits that most people aged 16 to 64 can receive. Currently this affect around 155 working age residents within Trafford.

Council Tax Support

Get help with your Council Tax bill by claiming Council Tax Support.  

Changes to the Local Housing Allowance

If you are about to rent a property from a private landlord and wish to claim benefits then you should read this information first.

Local Welfare Provision 

Trafford Assist is a scheme designed to help residents on low incomes with one off emergency costs such as food and other essential items.

Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

PIP started to replace Disability Living Allowance from April 2013 for people aged 16 to 64 years old.

Under occupancy changes

The under occupancy rules started in April 2013 and affect social tenants who have a spare bedroom.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit replaces existing working age benefits, including Housing Benefit and started to be introduced in stages from April 2013.   

Visit the DWP website for more information on Welfare Reform.  

Where to get more information and advice

If your benefit is due to go down, it is very important that you act now to plan how you will manage these changes. We recommend that people affected by the Under Occupancy (Bedroom Tax) changes talk to their landlord as soon as possible. For other changes the following organisations may also be able to help:

Trafford Council - Access Trafford

Tel: 0161 912 2000

Housing Options Service Trafford (HOST)

Tel: 0161 912 2230

Citizens Advice Trafford

Website: www.traffordcab.org.uk and www.adviceguide.org.uk 
Tel: 0300 330 1153

National debt line

Tel: 0808 808 4000


Tel: 0808 800 4444

Step Change

Tel: 0800 138 1111

Welfare Rights Team

Tel: 0161 912 2735

Jobcentre Plus

Tel: 0800 055 6688