Changes in your circumstances

Cancelling or changing a discount or exemption

If your bill shows that we have given you a discount and your circumstances change, you must inform us immediately. You must tell us about the change within 21 days or we may charge you a £70 penalty.

Changes you must tell us about

Some of the changes you must tell us about are:

  • If anyone moves in or out of your home
  • A change of name
  • Someone in your household dies
  • People aged over 18 who leave school, college or university

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it
administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this
form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this
information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public
funds for these purposes.

Changing address

If you have been paying Council Tax for a property in Trafford, and have moved house (or are about to move), you are legally obliged to inform the Council within 21 days of the date of your move.

Change of name

Please notify us about any name changes by completing this form.

What happens next?

Once you have informed us about the changes, we will close your old account and send you a bill for any amount you still owe. If you have overpaid, the credit will be transferred to your new account or refunded, if you have moved outside Trafford. We will set up your new account and send you a new bill. Your new bill will tell you what your new instalments will be.