Paying your Council Tax and how to get support
Coronavirus (Covid-19) update - Council Tax payments and recovery
If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, there is support available from the Council and from other agencies. You can find out about financial support available on our benefits home page. You should also:
- Make sure that you have claimed all of the benefits that you are entitled to. For working age families this is Universal Credit from the DWP and Council Tax Support from the Council.
- Get in touch with us straight away using our contact us form so that we can make sure you are getting all of the support that you are entitled to.
- We might be able to arrange an alternative payment plan for your Council Tax due in 2021/22.
- We also have a dedicated caseworker service, who can offer you information and advice on a range of welfare benefits and budgeting support. Please complete our caseworker contact form.
- If you would like to check your Council Tax account balance, you can register for an online account.
We appreciate that this is a difficult time for many of our residents and that the Coronavirus (Covid-19) is having a significant impact on our economy and services. We would encourage everyone to contact us if you are experiencing difficulty paying so we can offer support and advice.
Due to the high volume of calls that our call centre is experiencing, we recommend that you fill in our contact us form for a speedy response. To apply for Council tax support please complete our application form
OpenPortal lets you view details of your Council Tax account securely online.
Check your property band and the amount of Council Tax payable.
Find out the many different ways you can pay your Council Tax bill.
Direct Debit is the most convenient way to pay your Council Tax every month.
If you have received a letter or email about a review of your Council Tax you can fill the form out here.
If you are moving into Trafford, out of Trafford or within Trafford please complete our online form.
What to do if your circumstances change.
Download useful forms and information leaflets.
Find out whether you qualify for any discounts, reliefs or support.
Register for our online services.
What to do if you are finding it difficult to pay your Council Tax bill.
What to do if you suspect someone is claiming a discount or an exemption fraudulently
Find out more about the changes to Council Tax on a long term empty property.
The average amount charged for a property in Trafford in Council Tax Band D for 2021/22, including precepts (except Parishes), is £1,720.08. Partington, Carrington and Warburton pay extra due to an additional precept levied by their Parish Council.
The Council Tax Guides which are sent out with the bills, provide information about how to pay your Council Tax, the various reductions available and how to claim Council Tax Support.
Information about the 2021/2022 budget, how we work out your Council Tax and what your Council Tax helps pay for can be found on our website in the Forms and leaflets section.