Converting your civil partnership into a marriage

You can convert your civil partnership to marriage. This applies if your same sex civil partnership was registered:

  • in England or Wales
  • overseas in a British consulate 
  • overseas in a British armed forces base (If it was registered according to the laws of England and Wales)

The process for conversion

You must both attend in person, by appointment, at a register office in England or Wales. This does not have to be the register office where you registered your civil partnership. 

The fee for conversion is £45.00 plus £11.00 for any certificates needed.


You will need to bring proof of your civil partnership and proof of identity to your appointment.

How to make an appointment

Find out how to make an appointment.

At the appointment

Both parties must sign a declaration stating that they have not dissolved their civil partnership and they want to convert it to a marriage. The conversion will be registered and a certificate of conversion issued.

Commemorative Ceremony

It is not a legal requirement to have a ceremony when you register the conversion.

If you would like to commemorate the event with a ceremony we have a range of options to make your ceremony personal to you.

See the fees and charges for more information on the cost of ceremonies, or contact us to enquire about a date for a ceremony in Trafford.