Funeral payments

You might be able to claim a Funeral Payment if you’re on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you’re arranging. How much you receive depends on your circumstances and if you qualify.

Please contact the Department of Work and Pensions on 0345 606 026,5 Monday to Friday, between 8:00am and 6:00pm for further information or Visit the funeral payments web page

If you do not have the finances to arrange a funeral, the local authority will arrange for a public funeral to take place. The council does not accept direct referrals from families, so you will need to report the death to the police and advise them that there is no one willing to undertake funeral arrangements. They will liaise with the relevant authorities on your behalf. Please be aware that the local authority has the right to recover any costs incurred from the assets.