Tell us once service

When someone has died, we can now make it easier for you to inform all Council and Government departments that need to know about the death, with our 'Tell Us Once' service.

Following bereavement, a death must be formally registered with the local Registrar. In addition to registering a death the Registrar will now offer the 'Tell Us Once' service.

With your permission we will inform the relevant Council services that need to know and provide you with the completed forms and letters to send to all other government organisations.

We hope the 'Tell Us Once' service will make things easier for you and take some of the stress away.

This free of charge service enables us to inform the following services about the death on your behalf:

  • Council Tax
  • Adult Social Services
  • Blue Badge
  • Children and Young People's Services
  • Electoral Register
  • Housing and Council Tax Benefit
  • Libraries
  • Trafford Housing Trust

We will also fill out on your behalf the relevant forms and letters for you to send to the following HM Government services:

  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • State Pension
  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Identity and Passport Service (IPS)
  • Passport
  • DVLA
  • Driving Licence


What you need to do

You can use the 'Tell Us Once' service when you visit the Registrar to register the death. The Registrar's office is open for appointments Monday to Friday 9am until 4pm (last appointment 3.30pm).

You can make an appointment:

  • Online
  • By calling 0161 912 3025
  • By emailing
  • In person: Trafford Register Office, Sale Town Hall, Sale, M33 7ZF

What you will need to bring with you


When registering a death, you'll need to bring the following:

  • Medical certificate of the cause of death (signed by a doctor)

When opting to use the Tell Us Once service, you'll need to bring the following, if available:

  • Birth certificate
  • Blue Badge
  • Bus Pass
  • Driving Licence
  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • NHS medical card
  • Passport


To fully benefit from the service you'll need to tell the Registrar:

  • The person's full name at time of death
  • Any names previously used, including maiden name
  • The person's date and place of birth (town and county if born in the UK and country if born abroad)
  • The person's last address
  • The person's occupation
  • Details of any benefits the person was receiving
  • The full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving spouse or civil partner
  • Name and contact details of the person dealing with the estate

It's important to get the agreement of anybody listed above if you are going to provide their details to us.

What we will do with the information you give usWe will only use the information you provide us with to inform Government services so that entitlements, benefits and information held about the deceased and surviving relatives is correct.

A to Z of Council Services