Street parties in Trafford

This information is for the sort of street parties and fetes that groups of residents get together to arrange for their neighbours. The main differences between a small street party and fetes and larger public events are:

Street parties and fetes vs larger public events
Street parties and fetesLarger Public Events
  • For residents/neighbours only
  • Publicity only to residents
  • No licences normally necessary if music is incidental and no selling is involved
  • No formal risk assessment needed
  • Self-organise
  • Anyone can attend
  • External publicity
  • Licence usually needed
  • Insurance needed
  • Risk Assessment common
  • Skilled/professional organiser

Organising small, private street parties and fetes is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment. If you want to have a pay bar, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Notice which is a type of temporary licence and costs £21. Not all roads will be suitable to close for street parties. Roads that will be suitable will be local roads, cul-de-sacs and residential roads. If it is not possible to close your road the council would consider a request to hold your street party in your local park.

Next steps

Read our Guidance Note for Street Parties.

Consult your neighbours – a sample letter of consultation can be found at the end of this document.  We recommend you do this at least three weeks before you intend to submit your application in case there are residents who are away on holiday.

Read and complete the Street party application form and the Form of Indemnity. 

Return both documents with any other information required at least four weeks before your event to:

Marketing & Events Room 159 First Floor Trafford Town Hall Talbot Road Stretford M32 0TH


If you have any questions you can contact us on 0161 912 4502.

What you will need to consider when organising a street party

Risk assessment

Back to top

We do not require you to provide us with a formal risk assessment but you should think about what could go wrong and have back up plan, for example - what would you do if there was bad weather? Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass? We recommend you read the advice the can be found at the Big Lunch and Street Party.


Back to top

Unless alcohol is being sold you do not need a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you will need to contact the Council’s licensing team for a Temporary Events Notice form. This form costs £21 and you should apply at least 10 working days before your event.

Phone:  0161 912 4047



Back to top

As long as your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and you’re not making money, then there is no need for an entertainment licence.


Back to top

As a private party, you do not need a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell food (unless you wanted to only sell hot food and drink after 11pm). Remember you can always ask your neighbours to bake a cake, make a sandwich or bring food to share with one another. This is also a good way to bring different groups of people together.


Back to top

If the tombola/raffle tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500 in total then it will be exempt from gambling regulations, however if tickets are sold in advance of the event, you will need a lottery registration. Please speak to Trafford's licensing team on 0161 912 4047. Any proceeds from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause such as charity or even covering the cost of your party. Alternatively, if you did want to raise some money for your local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations.

Cleaning up afterwards

Back to top

You will need to clean up after your street party. It’s your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

Other things to consider

Back to top

Insurance & Indemnity

Back to top

The Borough of Trafford will not be held responsible for any damage to property, or injury to any person arising from or in connection with the street party or other event.

It is your responsibility to consider whether to arrange an appropriate policy of insurance that will protect and indemnify you against any claim or cost arising from such an incident, that decision remains solely yours.  Further advice on obtaining such insurance can be found on the Street Party website.


Back to top

Please be considerate of neighbours who may not be participating in your event – remember there may also be shift workers or children trying to sleep even in the daytime.  If you have to talk louder against any music, then it’s probably too loud for neighbours.

Noise travels further at night and if it is warm windows and doors may be open.  Please bear this in mind when planning what type of activities you may organise for the evening.

The Council recommends that street parties finish no later than 9pm.

Traffic Management

Back to top

The Council does not have road signs that you can borrow and recommends that you hire appropriate signs and barriers from a local hire centre. Signs must be waterproof if weather is wet.


Back to top

It is essential that you are also aware of the needs of others such as visiting doctors and nurses and other home visiting services and make suitable arrangements.