Animal welfare complaints

Reporting Complaints about the Welfare of Animals

If you need to contact the Environmental Health Service concerning Animal Health and Welfare, including on farms or at pet shops, stables or boarding establishments, please telephone 0161 912 4916.

All calls are treated confidentially.

For non-urgent matters, you can send an email to

Please do not use this email to report urgent matters.

Since it is often necessary to obtain further details about the nature of a complaint before we can investigate or take action, it may not be possible to fully investigate anonymous complaints, and wherever possible you should provide a contact telephone number so our officer can respond to you.

Complaints about the welfare of domestic animals (Pets)

To report a mistreated, neglected, injured or distressed animal, contact the RSPCA, or call their 24-hour cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.

Complaints about horses and ponies

For welfare complaints regarding horses, ponies and other equines, please contact World Horse Welfare (formerly the International League for the Protection of Horses).

Reporting concerns about the welfare of wild animals

The Police will deal with cases of wildlife crime. For more information on the laws protecting wild animals visit the Greater Manchester Police website.