Construction information and advice

Construction sites are in the open and are often near existing residential accommodation. Residents will in general accept construction site noise but will complain if work starts early or finishes late or if it takes place on a Saturday afternoon, Sundays or Bank Holidays. How to make a complaint

If you are intending to carry out construction works notify us. For construction works, the following advice should be considered as part of pre-planning:

Tell us and the neighbours

Give us at least 6 weeks notice of construction work prior to commencement. We may impose some conditions about how the work should be done

  • Send a letter to the neighbours before the work starts, telling them about the work and what to expect
  • Give the neighbours a contact name and telephone number and keep them informed of the progress of your works
  • Respond and deal properly with complaints received on site

Dust, noise and smoke

Keep dust, noise and smoke to a minimum.


You should consider adopting dust mitigation measures such as water suppression, visual monitoring of emissions and a dust management plan.


Across Greater Manchester the recommended hours of operation for construction are:

  • Monday - Friday: Start 7:30am and finish at 6pm.
  • Saturday: Start 8am and Finish at 1pm.
  • Sundays and Bank Holidays: No work.

Exceptions to the above hours are considered on their merits such as emergencies and essential works where it is not practical for them to be carried out at any other time.

Particularly noisy operations, for example pile driving, may need more stringent controls. Pumps and generators should not be left running overnight if they can be heard outside the site.

If you are a householder doing some or all of the work yourself, try to avoid causing any noise or dust in the evenings or on Sundays or Bank Holidays.

If noise problems occur, we and your neighbours can take legal action. If you think that your work may cause a significant nuisance to your neighbours from noise or vibration, you should apply for prior consent to us who will allow a certain level of noise to occur at reasonable times.

Obstruction and damage to pavements

Do not:

  • let vehicles or materials block or damage the pavements
  • leave obstacles, holes or trenches where they are a danger, especially to disabled people, for example, the blind

We may charge you for any damage caused to pavements, kerbs or verges by lorries or heavy plant.