Noise from construction sites

Construction sites are often located near existing residential accommodation and by there nature are noisy and open sites. Residents will in general accept construction site noise due to their temporary status.

However, if works starts early or finishes late or if it takes place on a Saturday afternoon, Sunday or bank holiday noise complaints may be likely.

Across Greater Manchester the recommended hours of operation for construction are:

  • Monday - Friday: Start 7:30am (with a restriction on the hours of operation heavy plant and machinery and major demolition and construction works until 8:00am) and finish at 6pm.
  • Saturday: Start 9am and Finish at 1pm.
  • Sundays and Bank Holidays: No work permitted.

Exceptions to the above hours are considered on their merits such as emergencies and essential works where it is not practical for them to be carried out at any other time. Please contact the Pollution & Licensing Section to discuss possible exemptions.

General advice which can reduce the likelihood of complaints being made to the Council includes:

  • Give the Council at least six weeks notice of construction work prior to commencement. The Council may impose some conditions about how the work should be done.
  • Send a letter to the neighbours before the work starts, telling them about the work and what to expect.
  • Give the neighbours a contact name and telephone number and keep them informed of the progress of your works.
  • Respond and deal properly with complaints received on site.

If you are intending to carry out construction works please notify us.

What can I do?

If you are being bothered by noise from a construction site you must contact the Pollution and Licensing Section to discuss the hours being worked and the type of noise that is bothering you.  Keep a  noise nuisance diary.

If you are a householder doing some or all of the work yourself, try to avoid causing any noise in the evenings or on Sundays or Bank Holidays.

If noise problems occur, the Council and your neighbours can take legal action. If you think that your work may cause a significant nuisance to your neighbours from noise or vibration, you should apply for prior consent to the Council who will allow a certain level of noise to occur at reasonable times.

What the Council will do

The Council will investigate complaints or inquiries made concerning noise from construction site. The Council will take into account the type of noise being complained about and the times that the noise occurs.

If the noise is deemed to be unreasonable the Council has authority under the Control of Pollution Act 1974 and Environmental Protection Act 1990 to serve a legal notice on the property or construction site. This notice can impose requirements for the operation of construction sites including their hours of operation and adopting the highest possible standards for noise mitigation.

A to Z of Council Services