Bins and recycling
Coronavirus (Covid-19): important information about your bin collections
The Coronavirus continues to impact on collections and our ability to provide a full waste and recycling service. Please bear with us at this time. We are doing everything possible to maintain the service as best we can. The information is reviewed daily so may change at short notice.
Green bin collections – we are emptying green bins today, Thursday 9 April
The coronavirus continues to impact on collections and our ability to provide a full waste and recycling service. We are running a limited service to clear existing waste, and are doing everything possible to empty as many green bins as possible.
- On your black bin day, present your green bin together with your black bin.
- We will try to empty your bin or caddy. However should we not collect it, please bring it back in. We are unable to return.
- You should continue to put food waste in your grey bin.
- For the time being you should not put additional garden waste in your green bin.
Thank you for bearing with us at this time. The information is reviewed daily so may change at short notice.
Advice on collections
You should do the following:
- Place your scheduled grey or black bins out for collection as normal by 6.30am on your usual collection day - check your bin collection calendar.
- On your scheduled grey bin day - only put out your grey bin for collection.
- On your scheduled black bin day - put out your black bin and your green bin / green street caddy (this is a one-off green bin collection to until we are in a position to resume a full service).
- If you have more than one green bin, we will only empty a maximum of two green bins presented for collection per household.
- We will try our best to empty your green bin or green street caddy. However should we not collect your bin or caddy, please bring it back in. We are unable to return.
- You should continue to put food waste in your grey bin. Compostable bags will not be delivered.
- For the time being you should not put garden waste in your green bin. See our hints and tips on home composting below.
- With our resources stretched, any waste that is left to the side or on top of your bin will not be accepted.
- Only contact us to report a missed collection of your grey or black bins during this period.
- Green bins presented for collection after 17 April will not be collected.
Other waste services
- Bulky collections: no new bookings are being taken until further notice. If you have already booked and paid for a collection, it will still take place as scheduled.
- Do not fly-tip your extra waste. If you see fly-tipping you should report it online or call 03330 035865.
- New bin deliveries: we are still delivering all new bin requests, and are prioritising grey bins for delivery. There is a delay on all other waste containers. You should book and pay for your new bin online. We are not able to take payments over the phone. The delivery of new grey bins is being prioritised to those who need a new or replacement bin or those who meet the criteria for a larger bin (either due to illness or because they have five or more permanent residents living at the address).
Hints and tips
- Minimise your waste as much as possible by avoiding doing any large DIY projects or decluttering. Where possible, store your unwanted items in a safe place either in a garage or shed. Make sure you do not block any fire escapes.
- Saving space in your bins is particularly important at this time. You can help by:
- Squeezing air out of plastic bags.
- Flattening or squashing your rubbish and recycling.
- If you already compost at home, continue to use your compost bin.
- Try home composting to help you reduce your waste. Visit our home composting advice page for hints and tips.
- Where possible, avoid gardening or cutting the grass unless you have a compost bin/compost heap.
- Consider reducing your food waste by cooking with your leftovers. Discover tasty recipes at www.lovefoodhatewaste.com.
This page was last modified on 09/04/2020 08:59:00
Find out your next bin collection dates.
To download a collection calendar please visit the bin collection dates page.
Your bin may not be emptied if you don't put the correct item in the right bin.
Important information about charges for new and replacement wheeled bins
Check here to see if your street has been affected by collection disruptions.
If you need a new or replacement bin or your bin hasn't been emptied.
You can dispose of large household items at your nearest household waste recycling centre.
Information on business waste and how to arrange a collection.
What you should use your green, black, blue and grey bins for.
We can collect your unwanted household items.
We offer an assisted collection service to any resident who through age or physical limitation, finds it hard to place their bins out for collection.