Grey bin queries

Due to high national demand for larger 240L grey bins at this time, there is currently a minimum waiting time of about 3 weeks for deliveries of new, replacement or additional larger grey bins. We apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for bearing with us at this difficult time.

Whilst we process your order, please continue to take your extra general waste to your nearest recycling centre. We will deliver your new larger bin as soon as we can.

I have a large family can I request a larger grey bin?

Back to top

The Council has taken account of the needs of larger families and families of five or more permanent residents in the property will be able to apply for a larger grey bin. Please apply online or contact One Trafford on 03330 035865.

I have a medical condition which means generating more waste which cannot be recycled. Will the Council help me with this extra waste?

Back to top

Residents with a medical condition can apply online or contact One Trafford on 03330 035865. As long as your waste is double bagged and tied off it should not represent a hazard to health.

If my bin is full, can I put extra bin bags at the side of my grey bin?

Back to top

Bags of waste will not be collected as all waste should be presented in a grey bin. If you do have extra waste you can dispose of this at one of the household waste recycling centres.

My grey bin hasn’t been collected will you come back for it?

Back to top

Please report the missed collection online and if it is a valid missed collection we will return.

My bin has not been fully emptied?

Back to top

Any rubbish stuck at the bottom of the bin will not be manually removed by the refuse collectors. You can loosen the waste with a broom handle for your next collection or alternatively, dispose of this yourself at one of your local household waste recycling centres.

To avoid this scenario please do not excessively compact the contents of your bin and avoid putting lightweight items such as polystyrene at the bottom.

Why is there a charge for a replacement grey bin?

Back to top

The charge has been introduced to cover the administration and delivery of replacement bins and is intended to encourage residents to take responsibility for the wheeled bins provided and to reduce demand for replacement containers. 

What happens to the general waste that goes in my grey bin?

Back to top

Your general waste is used to make electricity. The general waste from your home is delivered to a mechanical treatment and reception facility in Greater Manchester. The waste is shredded and then transported by train to the Energy Recovery facility in Runcorn. Once the waste has arrived at Runcorn, it is unloaded at the tipping hall. The general waste is fed into the furnace which creates heat. This heat is used to boil water to make steam which spin turbines. The turbines are connected to generators which make electricity.

For more information visit the R4GM website.