Disabled Facilities Grant

Equipment and adaptations advice line

The service is  open for applications for assessment for Major adaptations only.  No routine equipment referrals or minor adaptation referrals can be accepted as our team remain redeployed to support the Covid response teams.

If you or a member of your household is disabled they may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant towards the cost of providing facilities or adaptations to enable the disabled person to continue to live in their own homes.

Adaptations costing over £1000 are processed as a Major Adaptation. If your assessment of need recommends a Major Adaptation then you will be able to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant.

You will be required to complete a means test. This is a national requirement and is compulsory for all Disability Facilities Grants awarded. There is no requirement for a means test for people under the age of eighteen.

Am I eligible?

You can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant if you, or your parents, are:

  • A tenant or owner of a property
  • A landlord on behalf of a disabled tenant

The person who applies for the grant does not have to be the disabled person who needs the adaptations.

However, the person applying for the grant will be asked to sign a certificate stating that it is their intention to occupy the home being adapted for at least five years. The time can be shorter because of the disabled person's health or other relevant factors.

Whoever applies for the grant must provide a certificate of ownership or written permission from the landlord.

How do I apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant?

In most cases, your first step is to contact the Equipment and Adaptations Advice Line (EAAL), a group of Occupational Therapists currently based at the One Stop Resource Centre, Dane Road, Sale.

  • Telephone: 0345 299 0798

Any owner-occupier or tenant has the right to make an enquiry for a Disabled Facilities Grant privately. On request a set of application documents would be provided.

Applying for the grant independently

If a disabled person wishes to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant independently, then they need send their request in writing to the address given on the Adaptation contact page.

It must be noted however that any person choosing to opt for this approach would have to provide his or her own assessment from a recognised health professional. They would also be responsible for the processing of their enquiry through all stages of statutory approvals up to presenting their full application for grant approval.

This type of grant enquiry is subject to all the relevant legislation including the financial assessment of the relevant person's ability to make a contribution.

In instances of this type the Council must either approve or refuse a grant within six months of receipt of a valid application (presentation of all documentation, including, proof of ownership or landlords consent and any specifications or plans approved under Building Regulations and or Town and Country Planning).

If you need help or advice, filling in the application forms, your appointed Adaptation Officer will be happy to assist you. If you have difficulty communicating in English, or if you want any further help or information, please let us know.

Can you start work before the grant is approved / can you apply for the grant retrospectively?

No. The applicant should not start work before the application has been approved. Local authorities also have no powers to pay for works that have already been started.

Land charges

From the 1st April 2019 Trafford council will be registering a Land Charge, against Owner occupier properties that have applied for and been awarded a Disabled Facility Grant.

If you are an owner-occupier and you receive a DFG grant for more than £5,000, we will place a land charge on the property for 10 years. This means that if you sell the property within 10 years, you would have to pay the money back to the Council, up to a maximum of £10,000.  (so, for example, if the grant were for £8,000 the charge would be for £3,000; if the grant were for £15,000 the charge would for £10,000; if the grant were for £25,000 the charge would still be for £10,000).

The decision to claim back the money will depend on the reasons why you are selling the property. If you are in any doubt about how a land charge affects you, you should get independent legal advice.

If you wish to cancel your Disabled Facility Grant application or need any help or advice, please contact the Adaptations Team on 0161 912 2845. 

Related pages