Benefit entitlement advice

GOV.UK has advice on

  • which benefits you may be able to get
  • get an estimate of the benefits, tax credits or pension that may be available
  • compare estimates if your situation changes
  • save your answers for up to seven days
  • download/print results for reference

Before you begin make sure you have information about:

  • savings
  • earnings e.g. pay slips
  • benefit/pension details
  • outgoings, e.g. Council Tax, rent/mortgage, childcare payments
  • if you rent a property from a private landlord, your Local Housing Allowance rate

Visit GOV.UK

Housing and Council Tax Benefits in Trafford

If you are currently renting a property in Trafford and are on a low income you may be entitled to some help with your rent. Please see our housing and council tax benefit calculator.

Local Housing Allowance

Local Housing Allowance is a way of working out Housing Benefit for people on low incomes who rent from private landlords. LHA is based on the number of rooms people are allowed, not how much the rent is. The number of rooms allowed depends on who lives with you.

See a full explanation of this allowance

Trafford Benefits Advice Service              

Help and advice with….

  • Income Support  
  • Housing Benefit     
  • Council Tax Support  
  • Disability Living Allowance  
  • Personal Independence Payment  
  • Attendance Allowance  
  • Tax Credits  
  • Job Seekers Allowance  
  • Carers Allowance  
  • Pension Credit  
  • Employment Support Allowance  
  • Universal Credit

Call us for advice 0161 912 2735 Monday to Thursday 9.30 am – 12.30 pm or email  

Benefits Advice Line 0161 912 2735

Monday – Thursday 9.30 am – 12.30 pm

Ring to get general advice/information or an appointment or email

Appointments are held at:

Urmston Library

Thursday pm

Altrincham Library

Thursday am

Partington & Carrington Healthy Living Centre

Monday pm

Stretford Library

Wednesday am

Sale Waterside

Tuesday am

Old Trafford Shrewsbury Street Library

Tuesday pm


Moneyline can help homeowners, tenants, people in work, people who receive benefits, and those with a poor credit history.

You need to be aged 18 or over and have your own bank account. If you don't have one Moneyline can help you to open one.

Moneyline offers small unsecured loans which you repay over a number of weeks, but it also takes time to understand what will work best for you.

You will get honest advice and Moneyline won't lend you more than you can pay back. There is a typical 169.88% APR for new Moneyline customers.

Local Moneyline offices which you can contact are:

Bury - 0161 764 7225

Salford - 0161 736 6500

Trafford CAB

There has been a Citizens Advice in Trafford for over 70 years - with their first office in Urmston. Citizens Advice Trafford was formed in 2004 as a result of the merger of the individual bureau in the borough, bringing together the skills and experience of staff and volunteers from all over Trafford.