There is help and advice available if you are at risk of losing your home. Below you can find information and some practical steps you can take with some of the most common problems people experience.

If you still need help and advice you can complete the referral form to the Housing Options Service Trafford (HOST) and we will contact you.

You can also visit us at Sale Waterside, M33 7ZF or telephone us on 0161 912 2230.

Are you legally homeless?

You are legally classed as being 'homeless' if you fall into one of the categories below. If one of these situations is likely to apply to you within 56 days, then you are classed as being 'threatened with homelessness'.

  • You have absolutely nowhere to live in the United Kingdom or elsewhere, which you can legally occupy.
  • Your family has been forced to split up, as there is nowhere available where you can all live together.
  • It is not reasonable for you to stay in your home because you would be at risk of violence, abuse or harassment or serious threats of violence.
  • It is not reasonable for you to stay in your home because of extreme overcrowding, very poor state of repair, serious financial hardship or other special reason.
  • You have accommodation but cannot get into it.
  • You live in a mobile structure such as a caravan or boat and you have nowhere to park or moor it.
  • You have been served with a valid Section 21 notice from your landlord.

We can give you advice or take action to help you keep your home and can negotiate on your behalf where needed. We will provide an agreed Personal Housing Plan (PHP) so that we can work together and help you retain your home or source alternative housing if you have to move so that this can be done in a planned way.

Our range of services includes:

  • Referral to domestic violence outreach worker.
  • A scheme to help with deposits to enable access to the privately rented sector.
  • Help and advice negotiating with private sector landlords.
  • Referral to debt and other support services.
  • Specialist advice for offenders.
  • Help and advice if you are having problems with your mortgage and face repossession.
  • A floating support service.

In the event of becoming homeless, we will provide help and assistance, and if necessary arrange temporary accommodation for you while you wait to be re-housed.  We operate a 24-hour homeless service every day of the year.

You have the right to ask for a review on any decisions relating to your case that you do not agree with.  If you are appealing a decision, you need to do this in writing within 21 days from receiving your decision.  For details on this, please contact us and ask to speak to a Housing Options Officer. 

Please also see our Legal homelessness duties page.


As part of the Greater Manchester Autism Strategy, a series of easy-read guides for those with autism have been produced in relation to housing and homelessness.