Problems paying your mortgage
Almost everyone has money troubles at some time in their life. If you are having problems with your mortgage payments, you can talk to your mortgage provider about the issues. They can help you resolve them and remain in your home. You can also discuss being allowed time to find alternative accommodation and leave in a planned way. Many mortgage lenders would prefer this rather than having to take expensive legal action.
If you do not pay your mortgage you may be evicted or have your home repossessed. In the current economic climate we have seen a sharp rise in the number of people coming to see us for advice on mortgage arrears and the number of people losing their home is steadily increasing.
Whatever your reasons for your money difficulties, support and advice are available. Shelter and the Citizens Advice Bureau can help you to work out how to make the most of your money. They can help you work out your finances so that you can prioritise your mortgage payments. They may also be able to negotiate lower payments or payments by instalments for other debts you may have. The advice that you get will be totally impartial and non-judgemental.
You can contact Housing Options Service Trafford (HOST) on 0161 912 2230 or by email HOST@salixhomes.co.uk
The GOV.UK Mortgage Help page will give you the tools you need to prevent your home from being repossessed.
The Citizens Advice Bureau offer some top tips if you do fall behind with your mortgage:
- Let your mortgage lender know if you are having problems - don't just stop paying or miss payments
- Make mortgage payments your top priority - you could lose your home if you don't pay
- Get independent advice as soon as you realise there is a problem
- Don't ignore court papers and court hearings - do attend court, but get advice first
- If you are suddenly out of work or unable to pay because of illness or injury, check for any payment protection insurance you may have and get advice on benefits and other help you may be entitled to.
View contact and address details for Trafford CAB Surgeries
Housing Legal Advice Clinic
First Tuesday of the month at Sale Waterside 1pm - 4pm
There is free legal advice available on:
- Rent arrears
- ASB Injunctions
- Unlawful eviction
To book an appointment or for urgent advice please contact Louise Murphy on 0161 928 9321 at Keoghs Nicholls Lindsell & Harris Solicitors.
Some other useful information about mortgage arrears and repossession: