Disrepair in private rented properties

Coronavirus update

Following the recent government announcement in response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we have had to make some changes to the way we work. The Housing Standards Team is continuing to operate as effectively as it can under the circumstances, however, there may be some delay in response to complaints made to the Council.

Before contacting the Council, all complaints regarding property disrepair must be reported to your landlord or managing agent first in writing. Inspections by the Housing Standards team will only be carried out in situations where there is a significant risk to the health and safety of residents of a property.

Property disrepair

Trafford Council's Regulatory Services investigate poor housing conditions in privately rented properties in Trafford. The service will provide informal advice, assistance and information to landlords and tenants. However, where this approach fails or it is necessary to protect the health and safety of persons within a rented property the service will take necessary enforcement action.

If you rent from the private sector and your home is in a poor condition, you must report your concerns in writing to your landlord or managing agent first to try to sort out any problems before contacting the Council. It is useful for tenants to keep a log of any contact or correspondence with their landlord.

If you are unable to reach an agreement with your landlord or managing agent, then you can contact the Housing Standards Team. You would be required to provide a contact telephone number and name and address of your landlord/letting agent.

Initially your landlord would be contacted and advised to carry out an inspection and commence necessary repairs. However, if your landlord does not respond to us, or does not take sufficient action, a housing officer will contact you to arrange an inspection of the property. This inspection will be carried out under Section 4 of the Housing Act 2004 and a full Housing Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS) assessment will be made.

A decision would then be made as to what action is appropriate, such as informal advice or service of a legal notice on the property owner to address serious defects. You would be notified of the action to be taken.

If you require further information on these matters or wish to make a complaint regarding your rented property please email the Housing Standards team or telephone 0161 912 1377.

Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms regulations

Under this legislation private sector landlords are required to ensure that at least one smoke alarm is installed on every storey of their rented property and that a carbon monoxide alarm is installed in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance. The legislation also requires landlords to ensure that alarms are in proper working order at the start of each new tenancy.

The regulations do not stipulate the type of alarms (such as hard wired or battery powered) to be installed. Landlords should make an informed decision and choose the best alarms for their properties and tenants.

Please ensure that suitable smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are installed within properties you own or manage. Further details regarding the requirement for property owners are available in GovUK's Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms - explanatory booklet for landlords

Trafford Council will be responsible for enforcing the regulations. We will be able to issue a remedial notice requiring a landlord to fit and/or test the alarms within 28 days. If the landlord fails to comply with the notice, the local housing authority must, if the occupier consents, arrange for the alarms to be fitted and/or tested. The local housing authority can also levy a civil penalty charge on the landlord of up to £5,000.

We have published a statement of principles for determining financial penalties as to how this legislation will be implemented.

Privacy notice

Our core data protection obligations and commitments are set out in the Council's Regulatory Services Privacy Notice.