Accommodation certificates

Accommodation certificates are required by the Immigration and Nationality Directorate of the Home Office and by the British High Commission in the relevant country, for any individuals requiring a visa application to enter and to reside in the UK with relatives, on a permanent or semi permanent basis.

The application is made by the householder in the United Kingdom.

The certificate, if granted, shows that the property is considered to provide a safe and healthy environment for the occupants and that the property satisfies the overcrowding standard in the Housing Acts 1985 and 2004.

We can provide assistance to individuals applying for a visa by inspecting a property to ensure that it meets the required standard for overcrowding and is free from category 1 hazards under the Housing Acts 1985 and 2004. If the property meets the required standard an accommodation certificate will be provided.

Application procedure

To arrange an inspection an accommodation certificate application form must be completed and returned to the Pollution and Housing Section at Trafford Council, together with the fee charged for this service, currently £215 (fees subject to change as of 1 April each year). Upon payment a Housing Officer will contact you to arrange an appointment.

Make a payment

Accommodation certificate inspection

To obtain a certificate an officer must inspect your property in order to assess its condition and suitability for occupation. It will be necessary to measure each room and assess any category 1 hazards that may be present under the Housing Act 2004. The habitable room sizes will be used to calculate the maximum number of people able to live in the property, as a single household, therefore ensuring the property is not overcrowded.

If the property would become overcrowded as a result of someone moving in then you may have to find alternative accommodation for the people being sponsored.

Receiving the accommodation certificate

After the inspection has been carried out, an accommodation certificate will be provided within 10 working days specifying whether the property meets the required standards and if the proposed occupancy is suitable.

This certificate meets the needs of the Home Office/High Commission and can therefore be used as part of a visa application. Certificates are only valid for six months.

Once an officer has carried out an inspection, a fee cannot be refunded. A new application will need to be completed for each property inspected and a fee is chargeable for each application.

Privacy Notice

Our core data protection obligations and commitments are set out in the Council's Regulatory Services Privacy Notice.