Denzel Gardens and the Devisdale
Denzell House and Gardens
Built by Robert Scott, a wealthy Manchester textile magnate in 1874, the house and gardens extend to 10 acres. In 1904 Robert Scott died and the house was bought by Samuel Lamb who decided to create gardens to compliment his substantial Victorian house. A team of 16 gardeners created and managed an extensive landscaped area, croquet lawns, tennis courts, formal gardens and hot houses containing vines, peaches and orchids. In 1936, following the death of Samuel Lamb, Bowdon UDC took over management of the gardens and made them available for the public to enjoy. The lease of the house is now owned by a private property group but the gardens remain open to the public at all times.
For many years, the park has retained the prestigious Green Flag award, the latest awarded in 2018.
Items of Interest
- Sunken Garden
- Meadow with orchids and wildflowers
- Ornamental Pond
- Unusual tree species
The open land adjoining Denzell House and gardens was previously known as Bowdon Downs in the 18th century. From the 18th century the Bowdon “Wakes” were held on the Devisdale. Later from 1896 to 1966 the Altrincham Agricultural show was held and was believed to be the largest one day show in the country.
The Devisdale has been the site of ecological surveys since the 1990’s. In 2006 the Greater Manchester Ecology unit designated the Devisdale a Site of Biological importance. The combination of native grasses and sedges together with flowering herbs supports a complex community of insects and animals.
The Friends of Denzell Gardens and the Devisdale
The Friends group was set up in 2002 to ensure the future survival of this historic and important green space used by the local community. Friends pay an annual subscription which goes towards maintaining and enhancing the gardens. In addition, there is a thriving garden volunteer team who meet every Monday morning.
For more detailed information about the accessibility of Denzell Gardens, please visit the DisabledGo website.