In 1897 the Sale Urban District Council wanted to buy land to provide a public park in Sale. Sadly, the ratepayers refused to sanction the necessary expenditure. However, the day was saved when an anonymous donor, later revealed to be Mrs. Mary Worthington of Sale Old Hall, provided the funds.
The 16.5 acre site was laid out by local architect Mr. McBeath. The park was opened by Mrs. Worthington on 30 June 1900. She planted a Red Oak tree which is still standing today.
The park has changed over the years but still retains many of its original features. For many years, the park has retained the prestigious Green Flag award, the latest awarded in 2018.